Dubai UAE Traffic Rules
It is better to understand the driving rules and regulations to be followed in a country while you visit the place. Even thought UAE has the best police to guide you across, obey the rules for your own safety!
In this ever expanding city, the rules and regulations regarding transport are strictly followed. Else you will end up with fines. So understand “Dubai UAE Traffic Rules” listed below.
The Dubai police website is very informative and can keep you updated with new traffic laws: http://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/
Dubai Police: 8007777
The RTA website is as follows:
RTA Call Centre: 8009090
Eligibility to drive in Dubai UAE
To drive legally in Dubai:
- The driver must be aged eighteen or over with a full possession of a valid
- international driving license or
- a UAE license or
- a licence from an approved country
- It is mandatory to have all of the relevant insurance documents for the vehicle, and driving license, on your person at all times.
Rules and Regulations
- Vehicles are driven on the right side of the road in Dubai.
- Children younger than 13 years old are prohibited to sit in front seat
- Children between the ages of 4 and 8 are required to sit on a booster seat
- Seatbelts are to be worn mandatorily at all times by passengers in front seat
- Drivers must use handsfree sets if talking on their mobile phone.
- New traffic signs have been introduced for tram safety and penalties have been introduced for running red lights at tram junctions (a fine as much as AED 30,000).
- Driving schools are offering ‘Tram Theory’ classes in the hope that the new regulations will be followed and that the roads become a safer, and as a result of the tram, less polluted.
- It is mandatory that all vehicles on road are roadworthy, insured and registered.
- For cars over two years old, a road-worthiness test (vehicle passing test) is required annually.
- If wishing to drive a private car in Dubai, having a temporary or permanent license is necessary.
There are different speed limits on different roads. These are clearly mentioned on road signs.
Driving licenses have a ‘black point’ system in Dubai. If 24 points are gained in one year then the driving license will be revoked for at least three months.
If any alcohol has been consumed then taking a taxi or similar to go back home has to be strictly followed. Else you will incur the greatest number of points (24) and penalties + your car will be confiscated + court proceedings will take place.
No matter how minor are the accidents, it should be reported to police so as to access and issue a pink or green slip. The green paper slip is required if a claim is necessary. This paper is essential for the insurance companies and also if the car has to be repaired, as the garage must have a copy of the paper before they can fix the car.
New traffic rule amendments in Dubai UAE 2017
Goal: To reduce road fatalities to 3 per 100,000 population
The newly amended Federal Traffic laws will be implemented from July 1 2017.
A vehicle without number plates, 24 black points can be slapped on the violator.
In some cases, fines as high as Dh3,000 can be imposed and cars confiscated for 90 days
- . Mandatory child seats – for children age 4 and under
- . Mandatory seatbelts – for all passengers, including rear seat ones
- . Front seat passenger – Minimum height of 145cm and not under age 10
- . Traffic Police to take no-tolerance approach to speeding + severe violations
DubaiTravelator.com for your Travel Assistance
DubaiTravelator.com have listed travel agents who offer various travel packages, Dubai visa specialist to apply for Dubai visa, visa and immigration procedures in Dubai, hotels in Dubai and special deals, things to do in Dubai, places to visit in Dubai, how to plan a five day tour to Dubai etc for your travel assistance.
- Tour Operators in Dubai
- Visa and immigration procedures in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Things to do in Dubai
- Places to visit in Dubai
- Plan for a five day tour to Dubai
- Jobs in Dubai
- Details about Salik Road Toll in Dubai
- Top 10 parks in Dubai
- Dubai Shopping Festival
We have many more categories listed for you .Please click here to check other categories in DubaiTravelator.com
Get more stuff like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox when we start newsletter service.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.